Atlantic Canada's largest collection of paper maps and atlases
Dalhousie University Libraries has kept a map collection for 30 years and now features one of Atlantic Canada's largest holdings of paper maps and atlases. Map Collection staff provide reference and research services to support the needs of students, faculty and the general public.
Our Map Collection materials do not circulate. Atlases are located on the 5th floor in the GIS Centre. Advance requests to view other materials may be made to the Curator. Please note that not all of our maps appear in the catalogue, please consult with the Map Curator about the availability and viewing arrangements for your area of interest.
- Federal depository: Dalhousie is a depository for federal maps of Canada
- City plan maps: City planning maps at various scales.
- Historical maps: Significant historical maps of Canada.
- Geological maps: Bedrock and surficial geological maps for Canada.
- Topographic and road maps
- Atlases: regional, international, and thematic subjects.
- Cartographic Reference Material: gazetteers, distance tables, catalogues.
Map Collection staff provide services for the Dalhousie University Community and the general public.
- Reference: assistance on research projects.
- Reserve material: set aside specific materials.
- Customized displays: staff can create specialized cartographic displays.
Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Centre
The GIS Centre on the fifth floor of the Killam Library, provides support for Geographic Information Sciences research and teaching. It is the largest library based GISciences Centre in Canada.