Dalhousie's music collection has something for everyone
The university’s extensive collection of music scores, recordings and books about music are housed on the 1st floor of the Killam Library. The music collection consists chiefly of classical music, but includes film sound tracks, jazz, folk, ethnic, military, and an ever-growing selection of popular music.
The Killam Library’s feature film collection of approximately 1,400 movie DVDs is a recent addition to the Music Collection.
Scores and Recordings
- Comprehensive collection of study and performance scores
- Urtext scores for major classical music composers
- Compact disc and vinyl recordings in all genres
- Videorecordings of operas and recitals
- Classical Score Library database (printing personal copies is permitted)
- Naxos Music Library (streamed audio)
Hours and Contact Information
Books and Mixed Media
- Books and journals about all aspects of music history, musicology, theory, technique teaching
- Texts accompanied by tapes, slides, cassettes, CDs (on site use only)
- Warner Jazz Collection (Contact Karen Smith for information)
Using the Music Collection
- Books, scores, recordings and feature film DVDs are catalogued and available in Novanet or Novanet Classic.
- Headphones may be signed out at the Killam Library Service Point.
- CD and record players, headphones, and an electronic piano are available.
- Music recordings do not circulate.
- Study and Performance Scores circulate for one week.
- Urtext scores are for onsite use only.
- Music subject guide
- Music Reference Collection of major music encyclopedias, directories, IPA librettos of major operas, repertoire catalogues, thematic catalogues, bibliographies and music research guides is located in the Music Collection between the Music score and book section.
- Oxford Music Online
- Music databases