Community Borrower Cards
Part of Nova Scotia's Borrow Anywhere, Return Anywhere program
Nova Scotia residents who are 18 or older may use their current library card from any university library, public library, bookmobile, or community college library from across the province to borrow materials from Dalhousie libraries.
Get a community borrower card or register your public library card
If you do not currently hold a library card from any library in Nova Scotia, you may obtain one free of charge online or in person at the Service Points/Circulation desks of any Dalhousie library. You can also register your public library card.
Complete the online registration form to obtain a community borrower card or to register a public library card.
- If you are signing up for a community borrower card, it will be mailed to your Nova Scotia address.
- If you are registering for a community borrower card in person, you are required to bring one piece of identification showing proof of Nova Scotia residence.
For more information about BARA (borrow anywhere/return anywhere) please visit Libraries Archives & Museums Nova Scotia.
Library services to community borrowers during COVID-19:
- General Loan period is 3 weeks.
- Videos/DVDs - 7 days.
- Renewals are available on materials that have not been requested by other users (3 renewal limit at Killam, MacRae, Kellogg, and Sexton libraries; 2 renewal limit at the Law librarary).
- Holds may be placed on Dalhousie Library material that is signed out.
- Recall services are not available.
- Searches may be requested for materials that show as "in library" but are missing from the shelves.
- There are a limited number of community workstations available at the Killam and MacRae Libraries so that alumni and community borrowers can once again get access to our electronic resources. Book a three-hour appointment to use a community research workstation.
- Course reserve materials are not available for loan.
- Borrow and return material at any Novanet library.
- Document Delivery (Fees are charged on items requested from outside the Novanet Libraries.)
- Return your materials to the most convenient participating location, even if it's kilometers away from where you borrowed them.