Off‑Campus Borrower Cards
Part of Nova Scotia's BARA: 'Borrow Anywhere Return Anywhere' policy
Nova Scotia residents who are 18 or older may use their current library card from any university library, public library, bookmobile, or community college library from across the province to borrow materials from Dalhousie libraries.
Get a borrower's card
If you do not currently hold a borrower's card you may obtain one free of charge at the Service Points/Circulation desks of any Dalhousie library. You must have:
- Two pieces of identification, including one which shows proof of Nova Scotia residence, are required.
- For more information about BARA (borrow anywhere/return anywhere) please visit Libraries Nova Scotia.
Library services to off-campus borrowers
- General Loan period - 3 weeks
- Videos/DVDs - 7 days
- Renewals are available on materials that have not been requested by other users (3 renewal limit at Killam, MacRae, Kellogg, and Sexton libraries; 2 renewal limit at the Law librarary).
- Holds may be placed on Dalhousie Library material that is signed out.
- Searches may be requested for materials that show as "in library" but are missing from the shelves.
- In-person use of electronic resources via express stations (at the MacRae Library, login and password information is located on each public access computer, all of which have a 2 hour per day time limit)
- Reserve materials not available for loan, except at the MacRae Library where they can be loaned to the public for two hours for in library use only
- Recall services not available
- Borrow and return material at any Novanet library
- Document Delivery (Fees are charged on items requested from outside the Novanet Libraries)
- Return your materials to the most convenient participating location, even if it's kilometers away from where you borrowed them