Dalhousie students, faculty, and staff
Your university I.D. (e.g. your DalCard) is your library card. Your DalCard lets you borrow from any library in the Novanet Consortium.
Register your DalCard
- University ID Card: Before using your card to borrow materials, you must complete an online registration form, or
- Register your Dal ID in person at the service point/circulation desk of the Dalhousie library you use most.
- Distance services: Dalhousie faculty, students or staff may register using this online form.
Renewal and change of address
- You are responsible for renewing your library registration yearly and for updating your address.
- Renew your library registration and/or update your address online or at the library service point/circulation desk.
Special loans policies
For Graduate students and faculty: Please ask at a library service point/circulation desk for more information.
Suspension of borrowing privileges
If you owe fines of over $20, you will not be allowed to borrow until you have cleared your fines.
Any Nova Scotia or New Brunswick resident aged 18 or older may use their current library card from any university library, public library, or community college library from across the provinces to borrow materials from the Dalhousie Libraries.
- More on how to get a Dalhousie community borrower card.
Faculty and students from any Novanet-related university may borrow from Dalhousie libraries using a valid university ID card. Anyone with a valid Dalhousie library card may borrow from a Novanet related university.
If you have one of the following valid ID cards, you can register it to borrow from Dalhousie:
- CAUL: Council of Atlantic University Libraries
- CURBA: Canadian University Reciprocal Borrowers Agreement
- OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program
Dalhousie students, faculty and staff can read more on these pages about how these reciprocal agreements can help them do research at other university libraries across North America.
Dalhousie Alumni may borrow from Dalhousie Libraries using a Community Borrower card. Anyone with a valid Dalhousie library card may borrow from a Novanet related university.