Research Repository (DalSpace)
Preserving the Dalhousie community's research output
DalSpace provides access to the intellectual output of the University. Master’s and Doctoral candidates are required to deposit their theses and dissertations.
Faculty members are encouraged to deposit copies of their work in the repository if allowed by the terms of their publication agreements. If you need assistance in depositing your work, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Access DalSpace here
- Stable URLs. A fundamental role of libraries is to develop and maintain collections. DalSpace gives your papers an unbreakable URL. In 20 years and beyond, a citation to your paper giving the DalSpace link will still be live and get people to your paper.
- Access Control. DalSpace is intended to be an open repository. However, we can remove your content from public view if you need to control access to specific documents for a finite period of time.
- Easy to use. Click a few buttons, fill in a few blanks and a document is uploaded. You can do it from any computer. Plus, you don’t have to worry about backups or maintenance. DalSpace does all that for you.
- Google friendly. Your paper will be picked up in Google search results.
DalSpace houses articles, working papers, preprints, technical reports, conference papers and data sets in various digital formats. Its content grows daily as new communities and collections are added.
Content is organized around Communities that correspond to organizational entities like schools, departments, labs or research centers. Each community:
- Houses a potentially unlimited number of subcommunities, collections and items.
- Creates its own distinct identity and logo.
To request to register as an authorized DalSpace depositor:
- Go to dalspace.library.dal.ca/register
- Enter your email address, and click the Register button. This will establish your DalSpace username and password.
- If you would like to make a deposit or submission, send an email message to email@example.com your name, DalSpace username, department/unit, and a description of the type of deposit that you or your department would like to make to DalSpace.
- See our instructions to Upload files to DalSpace for more guidance.
- Dalhousie faculty members or research staff.
- Graduate students deposit their completed, accepted thesis into the DalSpace. Faculty of Graduate Studies Online Thesis Collection.
- Students, only to deposit material into specific collections authorized by Dalhousie faculty members.
- Works must be vetted prior to deposit: to ensure quotes from published sources are cited and permission obtained to reproduce images.
- External Researchers may request to deposit items in the event that your institution or organization does not have its own institutional repository and deposit is required to meet funding agency (e.g. SSHRC, NSERC, CHIR, NIH etc.) requirements. To get started, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and register for a DalSpace username at dalspace.library.dal.ca/register . Please note that if your institution implements a repository in the future, Dalhousie University will, at your direction, facilitate the transfer of your material to your institution's repository.