The best way to organize your sources and citations
RefWorks is a web-based citation manager that allows you to compile, edit and format bibliographies by importing references directly from online databases or by entering them manually and inserting them into your finished paper in the citation style of your choice (eg. APA, MLA).
- To create an account, look for "Sign Up For A New Account" on the login page.
- On campus or via the VPN service
- Off campus
- Group Code is RWDalhousieU
- Click on Go to Login to login to your account.
Guides and Help
- Hands-on workshops
- Webinars from RefWorks - one-hour online training sessions
- Short video on getting started with RefWorks
- Online tutorial
- Quick start guide [PDF, 2.42MB]
- RefWorks help
- Importing references from Dal databases [PDF, 139 kB]
- Attaching files to your references [PDF, 184 kB]
- Using Word 2007 with RefWorks and WriteNCite [PDF 397 kB]
- Converting a Word bibliography for import into RefWorks [PDF, 229 kB]
Guides and help
What RefWorks can do:
- Create a citation database online by importing references from online databases, text files or manually typing them in.
- Interacts with MS Word to create formatted citations and bibliography as you write a paper. Make changes to your paper and reformat in seconds.
- Import references from databases using Import Filters.
- Format your reference list in one of dozens of formats like APA or MLA, etc.
- Easy search in RefWorks database. RefWorks automatically creates author, descriptor and periodical indexes when importing so you just click on the word to perform the retrieval.
- Quick Search looks through all fields for the most comprehensive results
- Advanced Search to narrow your search to specific terms and fields.
- Data providers like CSA, OCLC, OVID, ProQuest, and Elsevier Engineering Village, to name a few, provide a direct export link within their interface. This is an easy way for new users to begin creating their personal database.
- Complete list of service providers
- Share a your citations database with other people by providing them with editing or read only rights