Use Novanet to request materials from other Novanet libraries
Novanet Express is available only to registered Novanet library users: the faculty, staff and students of Novanet member institutions and Nova Scotia residents who are 19 years or older.
- Registration can be done at any of the Dalhousie library Circulation desks.
- Faculty, staff and students will need a current university or college ID card to register.
- Nova Scotia residents may use their current public library card or two pieces of identification, including one which shows proof of Nova Scotia residence to register.
Placing an order
Logging in: To place an order, login to Novanet or Novanet Classic catalogues. You will be prompted for:
- The barcode number at the bottom of your Dal ID card (14 digits).
- A password. Your default password is the last 4 digits of your phone number.
- If your login is unsuccessful check with any Novanet Circulation department.
On Novanet Classic:
- Search for the item in the Novanet Classic catalogue.
- Click on the item title.
- Click on All locations.
Order a book:
- Click Request a loan next to the library you want to order the item from.
- Pick the library you want the book delivered to.
- It is not possible to request delivery of material owned by the pickup library.
Request a photocopy:
- Click on Request a photocopy.
- Fill out the online form. It gives us details about what you want copied.
- Note: Copyright law prohibits copying more than one article per issue of a journal or one chapter from a book.
- Search for the item in the Novanet catalogue.
- Click on the "Locations & Availability" link.
- This will open a window listing locations holding the title.
- For a book loan, click on the “+” sign to the right of the location from which you wish to borrow, then click on the “Hold” link on the right of the screen under “Request Options”.
- For a copy request, follow the steps for the book loan but instead of clicking on the “Hold” link, click on the “Photocopy Request” link located in the same area of the screen. When you do so you will be asked to login (again) on the Novanet Classic catalogue. Once signed in you will need to fill out the particulars of the article/chapter you want copied (e.g. title, author, volume, year, page numbers, etc).
- **For articles and photocopies of chapters, we encourage you to consider using the Document Delivery service located under the “More Options” link that you will see just below the item’s record. By using this service you we will be able to provide your copy electronically!
There is no charge for Novanet Express requests; however provision of items is at the discretion of the supplying library.
- Timing: Delivery is targeted to be within three business days of receipt of request.
- Books and photocopies may be picked up at the Novanet library of your choice normally within 72 hours of placing the request. (It is not possible to request delivery of material owned by the pickup library).
- Faxing: Photocopies may be faxed directly to a number of your choice. This option is not available from all Novanet libraries.
- Email notification: Requesters are notified of an item's arrival by email. If an item cannot be delivered, the cancellation message will also be sent by email.