Dalhousie's music collection has something for everyone
The university's extensive music collection is housed in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room on the 5th floor of the Killam Library. The music collection consists chiefly of classical music, but includes jazz, folk, ethnic, military, and an ever-growing selection of popular and rock music.
Scores and Recordings
- Comprehensive selection of scores in all formats
- Urtext scores for major composers
- Compact discs and vinyl records
- Streaming audio
- International Index to Music Periodicals
- Scores and streaming audio
- List of all music databases
Books and Mixed Media
- Major collection of books on all musical styles
- Books accompanied by tapes, slides, or CDs (non-circulating)
- Nineteenth century sheet music
- Tune books and song books
- Warner Jazz Collection
Hours and Contact Information
5th Floor, Killam Memorial Library
6225 University Avenue
PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada B3H 4R2
Maps to Killam Library
- Reference Desk: (902) 494-3615
- Music Librarian: (902) 494-8803
- Email the Music Librarian
Academic Year Hours
- Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Using the Music Collection
- Books, scores, and recordings are catalogued and available in WorldCat or Novanet.
- A piece of ID must be presented at the reference desk in order to listen to music.
- CD and record players, headphones, and an electronic piano are available.
- Music recordings do not circulate.
- Most music scores circulate for one week.